PROGRAMME OFFICER JOB VACANCY
A Non Governmental Organisation that works in areas relating to freedom of expression, access to information and freedom of the media is looking for a senior programmes officer as per the details presented below:
Responsible to: Executive Director
Responsible for: Programme Assistants and interns
Key relations: Programme assistants, interns, organisational partners & other stakeholders
Contract: One Year with possibility of extension
Location: Harare, Zimbabwe
The primary role of the Programme Officer is to support the organisation’s programme team in developing programmes, projects and activities to promote access to information, freedom of expression and information as per the organisation’s mission statement. This will include developing new projects, fundraising for them and overseeing their implementation. The work entails quality delivery of project outputs and outcomes. The Programme Officer will also contribute to strategic planning, wider policy discussions and campaigns, as well as cross-learning and collaboration with organisational partners and stakeholders
- Programme Development and Fundraising
- Contribute to the development of the programme strategic and operational plans
- Develop concept papers and fundraising proposals and maintain contact with partners and stakeholders
- Provide oversight of the team members including through development and review of work plans and project implementation timetables;
- Attending meetings with stakeholders (funding and implementing) to discuss and develop joint interventions;
- Assist in identification of new funding opportunities and partners.
- Implementation and Coordination of the delivery of Programmes and projects:
- Development and execution of annual programme work plans
- Assisting partners to develop and implement national/regional capacity building, campaign and advocacy strategies;
- Organising and facilitate capacity building workshops with partners;
- Supervising work of assistants, consultants, volunteers/interns related to these projects;
- Editing and drafting reports.
- Responsible for the overall management of the projects including by:
- Devising work plans and timetables;
- Ensuring timely delivery of project outputs;
- Ensuring appropriate monitoring and review of programme/ project execution.
- Maintaining regular contact with other programmes, staff, donors, and project
- Dealing with inquiries and providing information on Programmes;
- Attending and assisting with meetings and other Programme activities;
- Maintaining and developing Programme files and information systems.
- Contribute to the overall work of the organisation
- Facilitating cross-learning and collaboration with other thematic
programmes of the organisation;
- Contribute to and influence the overall organisational policies as well as
strategies and programme development processes.
- Contributing to project development processes
- Contributing to the organisation’s regular publications;
- Contribute to the organisation’s media and communication outreach
- At least 3 years substantial experience in programme coordinating and
implementation in freedom of expression, access to information, development; media, communication or a related area of work;
- Substantive conceptualisation, drafting and editing of written materials and policy briefs,
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation, advocacy and/or campaigning w media/communication or development sector;
- Experience of working with local partner organisations and the media;
- Experience of fundraising, planning and budgeting within an organisation;
- Experience of working in a cross-cultural environment.
- Experience in working with regional and international human rights bodies, journalists and media organisations/associations
Skills and Competencies
- Able to operate on own initiative with time-management skills;
- Fluent in spoken and written English desirable;
- Excellent project coordination and administration skills (including reporting and team work);
- Good conceptual and organisational skills, including ability to develop concepts, proposals and work plans;
- Excellent writing and presentation and advocacy skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and sensitivity in working with people from various professional, cultural and social backgrounds;
- Excellent organisational and logistical skills; especially ability to adapt to changing environments
- Excellent social media skills;
- Excellent editing skills;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Excellent website management and maintenance skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet strict deadlines.
- Degree level or post-graduate qualification in media and communication studies, political science and other relevant social sciences;
- Familiarity with key freedom of expression and access to information issues;
- A qualification in project management is an added advantage.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a covering letter clearly showing how they meet the Person Specification together with their detailed CVs by not later than 15 June 2018; 1700 Hours to:
Only short-listed candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application.